Tuesday 30 December 2014

Archie - Digging and Hiking!

Hi, I am Archie!
I am the youngest of the group, I’m only 18 months old, and I am a pedigree Siberian husky. Skye is the only husky smaller than me, I think I’ll grow a little bit more yet though as I’m still only young.
I had a few homes before becoming one of Sonia’s Snowdogs. Until coming here, I did not have the chance to play with many dogs and I never played off lead so it was really awesome to meet all the other guys here.
Archie
Relaxing in the paddock
I met Storm first, he is a really big guy. I was so excited to have the company of other huskies that I ran straight at him and jumped all over him! I know now that that’s not the best way to introduce yourself. He was quite patient with me really, but eventually he had had enough so he turned round, jumped on me and then sat on me! He sat on me for about a minute, it did not hurt but it sure took me by surprise. He can be very playful, can Storm.
Archie outside
Playtime
I then met all the others. I had forgotten all about what Storm did to me so I jumped all over them too. They were all very patient but then they started telling me off too. I learnt to calm down a bit and stop jumping up at the other huskies . . . so instead of jumping all over everybody, I began digging holes! Haha, it is such fun. I had never been allowed to dig holes before so I dug hundreds of them in the paddock over the first week. The first few days I just dug and dug and dug. I got very mucky – in fact I enjoyed it so much that I started rolling around in the soil. I was almost unrecognisable to the other huskies as I was black all over with muck, instead of my usual black, white and brown.
Playing with Luka
Playing with Luka
Mum made me have a bath every night for the first week. He he. I loved having a bath because the water was lovely and warm, and I loved jumping in and out to make a splash. All the other huskies have also had previous families so they have all needed to adjust to a new life just like I did. For quite a long time I spent night times inside in the house (this is why Mum, Sonia wanted to bathe me after I’d been digging).
Paddock holes
Exploring the holes I’ve been digging!
But, I am a full outdoor husky now, which is very exciting. I prefer it because I can play with my friends whenever I want to. And I have such a thick coat that I get too hot inside. I still get quite excited and play a bit too rough for some of the other guys so Mum doesn’t allow me out with those guys. But I play well with Wolf, Blue and Lukanuka – and Luna is ok with me too. I think the others are just too soft!!
Archie walking
I am still learning to become a sled dog. I like it best of all when I’m chasing behind Luka, that is such fun because he runs really fast and I am determined to keep up with him. After all, he is my best buddy! I am less keen if Mum wants me to run on my own though. I am really looking forward to joining the others when they go out on a safari. I have heard all about it and it sounds brilliant. I’m sure I will be able to keep up, especially on a shorter one to start off with.
I have also been lucky enough to be chosen to be someone’s special friend so I’ll get to meet them on the open days and we’ll be able to go out on a husky hike together. I wonder where we will go. I suppose it depends on whether my friends want to do a long hike or a short one. I have heard the hike up Black combe is great. I sometimes sit on the bench and gaze out over the fields to the Combe. There has been snow on the top recently, which makes it look very pretty. We did a husky hike for mountain rescue which was very exciting – that was about 13 miles in total over Bootle and Corney fell and it took over 4 hours. But I did it easy peasy! And Mum said I was one of the best behaved and easiest to walk! I can’t wait till we go hiking again. We have a very exciting year coming up, and I’m really looking forward to it.
Blackcombe
Hiking on Black Combe
We have all had a lovely Christmas with lots of treats. I’ve met lots of people who have been given gift vouchers for Christmas to come dry land mushing. Everybody wants to meet us all afterwards – I think Mum should start suggesting that people bring us special treats when they visit. I will mention that to her – I can be very good and sit beautifully with lots of treats around!
Well, best go and dig a fresh hole – I haven’t dug one for a while!
Hope to see you soon, Love Archie x
Pawprint


See what we get up to on Facebook
Check out our updates on Twitter!
Check out our homepage here!

No comments:

Post a Comment